Eating, Reading, Listening, Loving

Hi All,

Welcome to another edition of ERLL! Let’s jump right in, shall we?

Eating: Since two of my kids have moved out in the last six months, how we eat dinner has changed. I used to fix a big family meal most nights which required planning and thawing and cooking and cleaning up and putting away, but now since there are only three of us (and one of us is picky and typically makes her own dinner) dinner is a much more laid-back low-ley affair. A lot of times, we’ll just have sandwiches for dinner, or a quick pasta dish, or a salad, and if my husband isn’t home, sometimes the youngest and I will just have cereal for dinner. It’s such a difference from just less than a year ago, but it’s nice not constantly having that “what am I going to cook for dinner” worry.

Reading: I just finished The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg. I LOVED this book. It’s a quick read that covers all the emotions, but mostly it’s just a sweet story. This is one of my book club picks, and since it was such an easy read, I still have time to read it again, which is something I always say I’d like to do but never seem to find time. This time I think I’ll actually be able to do it before our next meeting. (Side note: do you read on an e-reader or do you prefer actual physical books? Since my tablet bit the dust, I’ve been getting my books from the library because I don’t like reading books on my phone, and I have found that I actually enjoy that more. I’d still like a new Kindle though – maybe for Christmas. 🙂 )

Listening: Another podcast for you: Criminal. I look forward to this podcast every week because the host’s voice is just so soothing to me. Phoebe Judge has a distinctive way of speaking and as soon as I hear that velvety lilt, I exhale and sink in to the story. I also love the different views they take on what it means to be a “criminal” – sometimes it’s exactly what you think when you hear that word but other times, it’s more subtle – and it’s always interesting to me.

Loving: Yoga. I’ve been trying to do a little bit of yoga every morning because it just feels good to stretch my body and I’m also building a little bit of strength at the same time. I’ve been following SarahBeth yoga on the Youtubes and I love that she says “your daily practice is your best practice” – no matter how little time you have, even just five minutes of yoga every day is good. When I’m pressed for time, I try to do at least ten minutes, but I always end up wishing I had time for more. But something is better than nothing, right?

backlit beach dawn dusk

Photo by Cedric Lim on Pexels.com

What are you eating, reading, listening, and loving this week? Share below ’cause I wanna know!

One thought on “Eating, Reading, Listening, Loving

September 17, 2019 at 9:14 am

Hmmm. I might have to check out that yoga podcast. I really used to like yoga and I think its good for your body. Since I was gone for a week in New Mexico, I ate out way too much and am so glad to be back to my simple eating ways at home! I am almost finished with a book called Abide by Macrina Weiderkehr. Its a devotional book, but so well written, I really enjoyed it.

• September 17, 2019 at 9:30 am

I’m really embracing the “simple ways are the best ways” philosophy lately!! Simple foods, simple exercises, simple housekeeping strategies…I tend to unnecessarily overcomplicate things, so this has been a learning experience! Glad you are back!! 🙂

2. Bonnie
    September 18, 2019 at 8:35 am

Eating: Tomatoes. My garden is late producing this year but all the tomatoes are getting ripe at once. We’re eating tomato everything right now.

Reading: Dear Bob & Sue: Season 2. It’s a follow up to Dear Bob & Sue (imagine that!), which was written by a couple who took a year and visited all of the nation’s 59 national parks.

Listening: I don’t do podcasts but I’ve been listening to a lot of MercyMe and Mandisa. A little upbeat, hopefulness in what can be a discouraging world.

Loving: The return of summer-like weather after a cool, wet August and early September. It’s supposed to come to an end this weekend but I’m enjoying it while it lasts.

• September 18, 2019 at 9:06 am

There is nothing better than a summer tomato from the garden. I don’t really like store bought tomatoes, but I love a good garden tomato!!
      Tell you what, I’ll trade you our hot hot summer heat (that refuses to die) for a little cool weather!! I’m ready for cooler temps now, if only for the change in wardrobe – I’m tired of my summer clothes!! Lol!

Thanks for playing along here – I love to see what others are into right now. 🙂

3. Vickie
    September 18, 2019 at 12:06 pm

I stock the kitchen which includes having cooked meat and clean/prepped fresh veggies ready in the refrigerators.

I do not prewash fruit, but I stock a lot of it. Also cheese, yogurt, eggs, etc.

I keep a variety of easy to use things in the freezer like vegetables, nuts, fruit.

Once or twice a week I cook something like a casserole or soup, and then store the leftovers in individual containers.

And then people help themselves. “People” right now are myself, husband, 25 year old daughter. They both pack their lunches too.

4. September 18, 2019 at 2:37 pm

I noticed that dinner thing too, when we had one kid leave with the other busy a lot of evenings working after school. And then when she left, we got really casual with dinner. It really is nice to not always spend so much time with all that cooking dinner entails.

As for grabbing five minutes of yoga, that’s great! My physical therapist suggested doing some of my exercises throughout the day – like, if I’m walking by the table, pull out a chair to do a few rocking pigeons. And then do it again later on. I have started doing some of the standing ones in the kitchen and I do feel like it’s easier to get these exercises in if I can do more of a “fit in” thing. At least for the standing ones anyway…once I’m on the floor, I do all of those at the same time.