August/Summer recap

Hello!

You know, I keep thinking that things will slow down and I’ll get back to my snail’s-pace-life pretty soon, but that doesn’t seem to be happening. I think this is just my life now. Or maybe it’s just the pace of summer and things will naturally slow down once it gets cold. Whatever happened to those hazy crazy lazy dayz of summer? I don’t feel like I got very many of those lazy days and I’m just a tad bit resentful about it. I’d like to speak to a manager about this, please.

20190830_083932.jpg

Life has not been all bad, not at all, it’s just that there doesn’t seem to be a lot of downtime anymore.  I didn’t even read much this summer and my hand-lettering has suffered as well – it just seemed like there wasn’t a lot of time to sit and just BE. I hate it that the two things I love most to do, I just couldn’t seem to make time to do them. I was pretty intentional about spending a few hours in the pool at least once a week – just floating and listening to the birds was restorative and meditative in a way that I couldn’t find anywhere else – if it isn’t raining, I plan on spending my Labor Day floating for a few hours and soaking up that last little bit of summer.

My Dad is doing well with his chemo – his last chemo appointment is in a week and then we’ll see where we are with that. His cancer is shrinking, so that’s good, but the chemo just wipes him out and he feels really weak most of the time. Hopefully he’ll get to stop the chemo and that will help him feel better.

School has started again around here (tangent: why do we have to start school in August?? It’s still so freakishly hot!! Can we not push it back until after Labor Day?)  – my youngest is a freshman in high school and my middle is a freshman in college. We moved my second baby bird out of the nest to her school an hour away (pro tip: bring a dolly or a platform cart for move-in day – parking will be scarce and it will be hot and you will all be cranky – make things as easy as possible for yourselves!!).

20190830_083219.jpg

Final hug before driving away.

After a rough start with a poorly-matched dorm roommate (she just got a new roommate this week – thankfully), my daughter is getting used to the rhythm of dorm life and college classes. My oldest is working for my husband and living on his own – which he loves – so we are down to one kid at home. The groceries in the house last considerably longer now!! 🙂

One thing I did well in August was to figure out how to stop being so tired all the darn time. I’ve added some supplements and stopped using my snooze button. I try to get up when the first alarm goes off and I don’t hit snooze – turns out, hitting the snooze button makes you more tired than if you just get up when that first alarm rings. As a life-long snoozer, I am amazed at how different my mornings are now! I’m taking a B-Complex supplement, an adrenal supplement, an iron supplement, a 5htp supplement, and just eating better in general. I walk or do yoga when I can and I will say I am noticing a difference. I also in the last couple of days have started using breathe-right strips and wow! I’m sleeping so much better at night. I’m not exactly energetic, but at least I don’t feel so completely exhausted all the time now, which is a nice change.

That’s my wrap up of August and generally the summer. I have an idea for a posting schedule for the fall, but I’m not going to make any promises (been there, broke that).  I think my Autumn Intention is going to be to fit in the things I love to do: blogging, reading, and hand-lettering and if I have to pencil them in to my schedule to make it happen, so be it. I got a nice new planner and it’s just begging to be filled up with fun activities!

So what about you? How was your August? Do you have anything you want to make happen this fall?

20190830_094602.jpg

One thought on “August/Summer recap

August 30, 2019 at 7:27 pm

What a nice newsy blog! I hope that in the future you will be able to carve out a little more time for yourself!

• September 3, 2019 at 8:58 am

Thanks Debbie, me too!! 🙂

2. August 30, 2019 at 10:46 pm

That picture of you hugging your daughter made me cry – oh man, each time I left my college freshman at the dorm was so rough! I’m glad your daughter is settling in (roommates can be so tricky to get right) and it sounds like you are as well with only one kid at home now.

I hope things calm down for you! Really happy to hear that you had some good pool time this summer AND that you are sleeping better. Hmmm, I should get some Breathe Right strips – for both my husband and me, LOL!

• September 3, 2019 at 9:01 am

My daughter and I have had a turbulent relationship for the last couple of years, so I thought I was ready for her to go, but man…it was still so tough to drive away knowing that she was there with no friends and no one really to talk to.

Breathe Right strips are my new favorite thing!! I get the smaller clear ones – they seem to fit better and the adhesive doesn’t irritate my skin. 🙂

3. September 2, 2019 at 12:50 pm

Happy Labor Day! Summer has indeed flown by. In the UK, we had a really hot August, now it feels autumnal and all the school kids start school again. I long to be in a pool in a warm country, sounds divine!

• September 3, 2019 at 9:03 am

The weather here in the southern US is still pretty hot but I know in just a few short weeks, it will start to cool down. By the end of September it usually starts to feel more like fall – as much as I hate to see summer end, I’m ready to wear long sleeves and boots! 🙂

4. Bonnie
    September 3, 2019 at 8:51 am

August was a pain–both figuratively and literally. Things got stressful at work (and I don’t see that improving any time soon). I injured my hamstring–mowing the lawn! Then two weeks ago I fell down the last three steps of our stairs at home and injured my back and tailbone. I’ve discovered that healing takes a lot longer when you’re in your 50’s than it did in your younger days. But I got to see my grandson this past weekend and helped him celebrate his 2nd birthday! And Thursday I am leaving on a solo vacation! The first time I’ve gone anywhere without a husband or kids in decades. I haven’t flown since 1992! Six days in Oregon with my best friend who moved away two years ago.

• September 3, 2019 at 9:06 am

Oh gosh Bonnie – you’ve had a rough August!!! I know what you mean about healing slower – I understand how/why it happens but I’m still like, what the heck?!?! I hope your injuries heal up nice and quick though.

I am positively envious of your solo vacation!!! I try to go see my best friend for a long weekend once a year by myself – I love my husband and kids but sometimes it’s nice to just be on my own for a little while. I hope you have so much fun!!