One thought on “If I were going to make a list on how to be awesome, this would be it

1. Bonnie
    June 12, 2019 at 8:47 am

One thing I’ve done is getting rid of the “shoulds”. I spent my 20’s and 30’s doing the things that I “should” do. Things that other people or society told me I “should” do. Now that I’m in my 50’s I don’t allow others to pressure me into doing things that I know aren’t right for me.

• June 12, 2019 at 9:14 am

Excellent Bonnie!! Anytime I say to myself “I should….” or “I need to…” I have learned that is a big red flag and I stop and either reframe, or ask myself why I think I should or need to. I always thought getting older would be the end, but for me, it’s really a whole new beginning of doing what’s right for me. 🙂

June 12, 2019 at 9:52 am

I’ve done some of those things. Its a pretty good list! I agree with Bonnie–when I turned 50 somehow I realized that I didn’t have to do what other people said!

• June 12, 2019 at 9:55 am

I just heard a woman of a certain age the other day saying “we are in our 40s and 50s – we don’t need anyone’s permission to do anything!!” I LOVE that!!

3. June 12, 2019 at 11:54 am

Yep, 50 is a very releasing age. After what happened to my body with the herniated disc, I’m so much more appreciative of everything it still can do after a couple very questionable months.

• June 12, 2019 at 12:23 pm

I’m glad you are on the mend Shelley. It must have been frightening to not be able to make your body do what you wanted it to do!! My dad is having some health issues right now and like you said, I’m very thankful for all the things my body can do right now – watching him struggle has been eye-opening!!