Financial Things

Hello!

One of my New Year’s Intentions was to get my financial life in order, so I thought a good way to keep track of that would be to do a regular Financial Things post, both to remind myself that I am making progress and also to have something to post (I tend to tell myself that I have nothing to write about, but then I’ll read someone else’s post and ideas explode in my head). So without further ado, here are my latest financial things:

• I reconnected with an old budgeting system I used to use. All of last year I used YNAB (You Need A Budget) to track my expenses and plan my budget, and while I really love almost everything about it, it just doesn’t make sense to me to pay $84 a year for a budgeting system when I a) am trying to cut expenses and b) there are so many budgeting systems that cost way less or are free. In searching for an alternative to YNAB, I tried several different options – and was getting frustrated that I couldn’t find one that I clicked with – when I happened to be looking for pictures on my desktop PC at home and discovered, buried deep in my documents folder, a budget template from 2015 that I had gotten from SimpleOrganizedLiving.com (which is now adreadekker.com). I opened it up and reworked it to fit my 2019 needs and the clouds parted and the angels sang and I found my one true budget template love. I sit down once a week to plug in my expenses and see where I’m at for the month. It’s easy and it’s FREE. I may have paid for it back in 2015 or maybe it was offered as a free download, I don’t remember, but I’m very happy that I have found it again.
business charts commerce computer

Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com

• I bought a dresser from a Facebook resale group. Since my son moved into his own apartment, that means my girls get their own rooms now, and we are in need of a little bit of furniture. When they shared a room they had one large dresser for their clothes, but now they each want a smaller chest of drawers (side note: it’s chest OF drawers, not chester drawers, and that’s your grammar lesson for the day). I really do not want to pay over $100 each for brand new dressers (we’re also going to need night stands and different beds as well, which could add up to hundreds of dollars. Um…no.) so I found a small wood dresser listed on a resale group for $40 that we are going to repaint to match the room. I’m on the lookout for another dresser and eventually I’ll be on the lookout for the rest of the furniture, but for now, I’m happy with my find.
apply blue brush carpentry

Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com

• I used a birthday coupon for a free large popcorn and drink at the movies. My son and I went to see Captain Marvel over the weekend, and I was able to use a birthday coupon from my theater loyalty card which got us free popcorn and a large drink which saved us $13.50. Oh, and my son bought the tickets for my birthday, so I only spent $5 for a medium drink. Seeing the Marvel movies is our bonding thing, so it’s worth it to me to spend the money to see a movie once in a while, but yay that  I didn’t have to spend much this time!
white and green pop corns beside red gummy bear

Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com

Those are a few things off the top of my head that I’ve done lately to get ahead of my financial situation. And let me point out, my financial situation isn’t awful or dire, I just have some small debts that I’m tired of paying on and although we tend to break even every month, I want to get ahead of things. I want to better my situation, I guess you could say.

What have you done in the past to better your financial situation? What are your favorite frugal tips? What financial advice would you like to share? Hit it in the comments so we can all benefit!

One thought on “Financial Things

1. Bonnie
    March 19, 2019 at 8:50 am

I think I was born frugal. I remember for my 13th birthday my aunt gave me $20 (quite a windfall in 1978) and took me shopping. I came home with a roll of Lifesavers, $19 and change, and a very frustrated aunt. My husband actually has to remind me periodically that it’s okay to spend money on myself once in a while. It’s okay to buy a new pair of pants instead of going to Goodwill. The one thing I used to struggle with, though, was saving for annual expenses (real estate taxes, etc). The solution was that we figured out how much we were going to need and divided it by 52 (my husband gets paid weekly). We have that amount direct deposited into savings each week. Because it’s a small amount each week we don’t really miss it and at the end of the year the money is there to pay for the big annual expense.

• March 19, 2019 at 2:01 pm

I have learned in the last year or so that I had a scarcity mindset when it comes to money and I have to really work to figure out when it’s okay to spend a little more for quality and when it’s okay to “cheap out”. I would automatically go for the lowest price on everything and sometimes that’s not the best deal. I also have to remind myself that the money will be there – as long as my husband and I are able to work, the money will always be there, so that helps when I’m conflicted about spending money.

2. March 19, 2019 at 1:36 pm

Love that you are buying used furniture and refurbishing it – most of the time the older stuff is better quality, and holy heck, a chest of drawers is expensive!

We saw Captain Marvel last weekend as well – my husband wanted us to spring for the seats in the expensive D-Box theater which were $7.75 each…I balked a little but finally agreed, and I’m glad we saw it there. Sometimes a small splurge is good.

• March 19, 2019 at 1:53 pm

I am shocked at how much a nice chest of drawers is sold for now! I lucked out today and found another dresser for $50, so now I’ve got 2 decent dressers for less than $100. Except now I have to go buy a gallon of paint, but I’m okay with that.

Usually any time we go to the movies, we go in the afternoon to get the matinee prices. This time it just worked out for us to go in the evening but it was worth the extra couple of dollars – especially since I got my birthday freebie. 🙂

3. Sara Vliet
    March 26, 2019 at 5:04 pm

I really enjoyed the blog. I’ve been losing weight for a long time now. I used to be 113 kg and now I am 98 kg. I have used diets and other ways a lot. I am super inspired by things like this. I have been trying to live healthily for a long time now. I also have a question. I bought this book http://bit.ly/free-dietbook do you think this works? I have been searching for a long time and I have tried a lot.

4. Michelle Jenkins
    March 28, 2019 at 7:37 am

My son is 21 and is in the autism spectrum. Movies have always been our thing but especially the marvel movies. When he was home on spring break we saw captain marvel. He will be finishing up his junior year the same weekend as the next avengers movie. We can’t wait even though we know it’s going to be a tough one.

In August of last year we started following the Dave Ramsey plan. We have paid off all credit card debt and I just paid off my car two years early. Up next is the mountain of student loans. I use his EveryDollar app for budgeting but I think as far as budgets go lots of people really like spreadsheets. I like the app right here in my phone. I like the convenience.

Thanks for the post!

• April 1, 2019 at 7:10 pm

Hi Michelle – did you love Captain Marvel?! I thought it was so good! That’s fantastic that you’ve paid off all that debt – kudos to you! Great job!

• Michelle
        April 4, 2019 at 9:28 pm

Hi Jill. Yes. We really liked it! Side note. I was cleaning out my closet today and found an iChange T-shirt! Loved iChange.

• April 12, 2019 at 2:00 pm

I’m just now seeing this!! Aw, those iChange days were fun. 🙂 I didn’t get a tshirt…why didn’t I get a tshirt?? or maybe I did and just don’t remember (which is very, very likely).

5. March 31, 2019 at 11:26 pm

thank you for sharing.

6. April 16, 2019 at 5:12 pm

I love running into blogs where people are talking finance since that is what I am interested in right now. No fantastic tips for ya though. LOL

• April 17, 2019 at 9:25 am

I’ve been trying to get ahead financially but man, it is so hard! Especially this time of year – seems like my kids always need chunks of money for something!!