Happy New Year

20190101_0924451482579066.jpg

Well I totally meant to write a meaningful end-of-year post, but December got a little crazy and I just didn’t get around to it. I’ll do a quick wrap up right now before I move on to my goals for this year.

What I did well last year:

• tracked all of my expenses for the year so I could see where all of my money went
  • stayed consistent with my book club – we met almost every month…we just couldn’t find time to get everyone together in November and December.
  • got much better at being mindful and listening to what my body tells me
  • finally called my doctor to help me with my weight

Those are just a few things off the top of my head. I’m sure I did other things well last year, I just can’t think of anymore specific examples.

This year I want to work on:

• Making my money work for me – since last year was all about tracking, now I can see where I can cut back and maybe add in some extra so I can pay down some debt
  • doing more fun things with my book club – I’ve got a couple of movie nights planned for us and maybe some field trips in addition to our monthly meetings
  • getting better with my hand-lettering – I’d like to take some online classes for fun to see if I can really improve
  • making exercise and meditation a regular part of my routine – I know all the benefits of moving regularly and meditating, now I just want to do them often enough to really reap the rewards (better sleep, less stress, & clearer thinking)!
  • conquering the demons that have control of my hair – this may be the year I chop it all off. I’m so over it.

What did you do well last year? What do you want to work on this year?

One thought on “Happy New Year

1. BARBARA LEE
    January 2, 2019 at 5:04 pm

Happy New Year!! Be sure to share regarding the weight loss.. One thing that I did great in the year 2018 was EAT! Have to do better.

January 2, 2019 at 6:50 pm

Happy New Year Jill! Those are some lofty goals you’ve set for yourself! It’ll be fun to hear how everything goes this year.

3. January 3, 2019 at 10:15 am

Happy New Year, Jill! I chuckled about your hair dilemma – I swear, there’s always something going on with THAT, isn’t there?

4. January 3, 2019 at 8:05 pm

I had a really vivid (sleeping)dream towards the end of the year, I was in a dangerous situation and put someone else’s needs ahead of my own and I ended up falling and getting seriously hurt. It was a huge wake up sign for me to start putting myself first more often. I don’t know the word no, but 2019 is going to be the year I start saying it more. I’ve never had a “honey do” list but I might start a “honey help!” List. I plan to take more time to be kind to myself, doing more of what makes me happy and spend less time catering to others while I silently envy them for having more free time and less chores than me.

• Vickie
      January 10, 2019 at 7:49 pm

My kids know that if I cannot or will not do something, I will tell them “no” right away, so they can plan.

But if you are talking about outside people, Liz talked about this on Happier in Hollywood. I can’t remember the episode, but she said they have learned not to commit or respond with an opinion immediately. They have a phrase (which I also cannot remember) which basically says – let me think about that. I found that very helpful.

And I had a step down process 8-10 years ago where I trained new people to take over my volunteer positions (I ran three large things). I extricated myself over a 2-3 year period. And then I did not take on anything new. Really valuable process.

5. Vickie
    January 10, 2019 at 7:53 pm

Jill – without getting into particulars/talking in general, I would be interested in your money process. Joint accounts, combined accounts, how you divide bills, savings, etc. My oldest and his girl have been working thru this process. And I am interested in what you think. And what you have found with your (two year) process.

• January 11, 2019 at 1:50 pm

I started to write out our arrangement here, but I think this might be an excellent blog topic (plus it was going to get really long) so I’ll try to write something out this weekend for you. 🙂 The last couple of years have really been a learning process (and I still feel like I am in the middle of learning).