Wanna play a board game?

My ten year old daughter asks this question several times a week and many times we can be found on the floor of the living room playing some kind of game.

Our go-to games are usually Uno or Yahtzee, but lately my girls and I have been playing Clue a lot – we play an abbreviate version that let’s us get right to the guessing without having to roll the dice and count spaces. We enjoy it.

I need new game ideas, folks. What games do you enjoy playing or remember playing when you were a kid?

Here’s what we have at home:

Battleship

Clue

Chutes & Ladders (we haven’t played this one in a while)

Candy Land (also not played in a while since my youngest is now ten years old)

Hedbands (the game where you wear a card on your headband and you have to ask questions to guess what the card is)

Apples to Apples

Logo (for 12 and up – I need to get the kid version)

Sorry & Sorry Spin (Sorry spin has got to be the most boring game EVER – I have no patience for that game)

Twister

Trouble (we rarely play this. For some reason, my kids just never really enjoyed it, but I loved it as a kid)

Scrabble

Monopoly (I hate Monopoly)

Life

Operation (a lot of the pieces are missing, I think)

Connect Four

Aggravation (I think we might not have this one anymore – too many pieces missing so I tossed it)

Uno

Yahtzee

Cards – we play Books mostly with a deck of cards.

That’s all I can think of right now. So you see, we have the basics but we need some new ones. I like getting recommendations because board games aren’t as inexpensive as they used to be. I hate to spend $20 or more on a game that we won’t end up playing.

What are your favorite games and what games did you like when you were a kid?

gametime

source

One thought on “Wanna play a board game?

1. December 1, 2015 at 11:33 am

2 All time favorites — GOBLET and BLOCKUS – Kids can play but adults will be challenged too! We’ve had both for years and we still pull them out….

2. Juli
    December 1, 2015 at 11:45 am

We love 2 card games, 5 Crowns and Skipbo plus a dice game, Farkel.

3. Shelly
    December 1, 2015 at 11:49 am

My daughters are 10 and 12. We really like Wits and Wagers, Jenga, and Phase 10.

4. December 1, 2015 at 12:08 pm

Spot It!! There are lots of different varieties (we have the original, Frozen version, and Shopkins). It’s a card game that both my 9 and 7 year old love. It’s fast paced.

5. Jilly
    December 1, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Quirkle and Farkle…we love Yahtzee and Blockus and these have a similar challenge piece.

6. December 1, 2015 at 5:37 pm

We have a lot of board games but the ones we actually play include: Trivial Pursuit and an all-science similar game that I can’t remember the name of (still packed in a box somewhere right now!), Carcasonne where you lay out random tiles and claim cities, Munchkin which is a card game sort of related to Dungeons and Dragons but quick and hilarious (wear the Boots of Butt-Kicking or get bonus points for an Impressive-Sounding Title!) and Dungeon Pets where you adopt little monsters and look after them and put them in beauty competitions. We don’t own Quirkle but that is a good one. Greed is a quick dice game (do you accept what you have or risk it all to roll again?). Oh, and Articulate is good for a slightly larger group of people, you have to make them say the word: so if the word is “kitten” you could tell them “baby cat” but a lot of words are a lot harder than that! Its the one we play most at parties.

7. December 1, 2015 at 6:31 pm

I like Jenga and Kerplunk. I’m crazy about labyrinth maze games with marbles. We play card games a lot … go fish, war, rummy. I taught my kids a bunch of different solitaire games too.

8. Vickie
    December 2, 2015 at 12:50 am

We play mostly card games (that you play with regular decks) – Kings in the Corner, Euchre, Hearts, Gin or Gin Rummy, Golf, Tic, Canasta, etc. all of these can be played by kids. We keep decks of cards in glove compartments of all the cars. The girls keep a deck in their purses too.

We love the card version of Monopoly called Monopoly Deal (shorter game). We love Phase Ten and Skipbo.

We love Rummikub which is a tile game. We also play the regular deck card version which is called Bikini.

(I think a ten year old can play the full versions of these games, does not need kids version. My kids play pretty sophisticated games at early ages.)

• Vickie
      December 2, 2015 at 1:00 am

Uno and Yahtzee (that you mentioned) are really good, I agree.

We used to play Scrabble a lot. We played on line version, Words with Friends, too.

I do not enjoy chess but my kids and husband do. Husband and son play against each other on line regularly. The kids start playing at young age. (Honestly it hurts my brain to try to think ahead that far. Stressful game to me.)

9. December 3, 2015 at 1:47 pm

You guys are THE BEST. Such great ideas – THANK YOU!!! 🙂

10. Vickie
    December 8, 2015 at 1:15 am

At resale shop today, wandering while husband was at library. What did I see? Qwirkle. I remember it being in the recommendations. I asked if I could open it to see if the pieces were all there. 108 tile pieces later, we realized it was intact. Directions included. $5. Sold. It looks very fun.

• December 8, 2015 at 7:13 am

Cool! I saw that game at Target for $20 over the weekend. Good find! 🙂

11. S
    January 3, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Lately we have been enjoying Sushi Go, Catan Junior, and Forbidden Island (cooperative).

12. Pam
    January 7, 2016 at 11:19 am

Sequence – it’s a lot of fun. They have versions for kids too but the adult game isn’t too hard for 10+

13. Vickie
    November 22, 2017 at 12:17 pm

Remembered this post.
    Thanksgiving break
    2017 – Bananagrams.
    Played for hours. Very fun.

• Vickie
      December 10, 2017 at 10:47 pm

Not sure if this one has been mentioned –
      Mexican Train Dominoes.

I think I have those words in the right order. My older kids tell me it is very fun.

14. Vickie
    December 18, 2018 at 4:55 pm

Played Mille Borne over the weekend. French card game. I have seen it for years, had it for years, but had never played. Very fun. It is like “Uno” in the sense that you “get” other players. So if you have a group that is competitive, they will like it. And can play in teams which we like.

15. Vickie
    December 26, 2018 at 12:07 am

Starving artist goes to NY.

Group game. Very fun. Directions are on line.

My niece taught us to play a couple years ago. Five girls have been in my kitchen playing it until the wee hours, laughing and laughing.

• Vickie
      January 1, 2019 at 1:08 am

Correction – I had the name wrong. A fake artist goes to New York. The directions are on line.