And that’s why I worked out at 2 am

Last night we had our neighbors over for dinner and in full disclosure, I ate very healthy but I did have a margarita. Is alcohol considered junk food if you only have it every few months? I thoroughly enjoyed the first one but after I poured the second one, I realized I didn’t really want it anymore so it just sat there and the ice melted until it was a very weak alcoholic lime-aid. Blech.

So because I only have a drink every so often, I always forget that alcohol interferes with my beloved sleep. I just never can get into a good deep sleep when I have a drink, be it wine, margaritas, or blech beer. So there I am in bed trying to will myself to sleep at 11:30 when my husband stumbles in after spending an extra amount of time with our neighbor out on the patio telling alcohol-fueled manly stories of their glory days. They had had quite a few margaritas and let’s just say my husband needed some “care” and leave it at that. After I finally got his drunk ass in bed, I couldn’t sleep. I stared at the ceiling. I tried to count backwards from 100. I read my book. Nothing was helping and as the hours ticked by, I knew that I was going to be super tired this morning and most likely wouldn’t want to do my workout. Then I thought, well why not do it now? I wasn’t sleepy so I might as well make use of the time I was awake and get it done and over with. Plus I hoped that it would wear me out enough that I would fall sleep. So I got out of bed, put on my workout clothes and banged out a bunch of squats and some other incredibly ridiculous exercises for the next half hour. When I was done, I was sweaty and satisfied and although it took awhile for me to cool down, I finally drifted off to sleep about 3:30. When my alarm rang at 6:15, I was so glad I had already worked out because I was TIRED with a capitol SLEEPY.

Today I’m feeling racked out and blah, but I plan on going to bed embarrassingly early tonight (hello 3rd grade bedtime). I never in a million years would have thought I would voluntarily work out in the middle of the night. I fully expect people in Hades to be wearing parkas today.

One thought on “And that’s why I worked out at 2 am

1. June 14, 2013 at 11:54 am

Haha I’ve never worked out in the middle of the night, but could definitely see the temptation when you can’t sleep! I think alcohol probably is a ‘junk food’ but I have no problem at all with having it in moderation, as with most things… PS I love 3rd grade bedtimes too. And naps 🙂

2. June 14, 2013 at 1:51 pm

You seem to be looking at life from a different angle, and I love it! No, working out at 2:00 am is not something you’ll probably do on a regular basis, but just the fact that you considered it (much less DID IT) is pretty awesome!

3. Kyra
    June 14, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Hey, nice job! I’ve done that! Not often, mind you, because my family would probably have me committed… Alcohol ruins my sleep to. If I have anything to drink, it’s gotta be around lunch time or I’m miserable! I hope you sleep in tomorrow!

4. Amy
    June 14, 2013 at 7:01 pm

That is just plain awe inspiring.

5. cookie
    June 16, 2013 at 10:50 am

Alcohol does the exact opposite to me. It makes me super sleepy, that’s why I did not have anything at the barbecue yesterday. I think the combination of that and the allergy medication I took early would’ve made me fall asleep with my face in my potato salad. I had a hard time as it was not to fall asleep on the way home.

6. June 16, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I HATE tossing and turning. I’d rather get up and do something, although I’ve never exercised! Good for you for turning a negative into a positive!

7. June 18, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Poor hubby. 🙂 kudos to you for not having something you didn’t want.

8. June 19, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Rock on with your bad self!!!