Gimme a TEA!

Hello Friends!

Okay, let’s get this over with: my last weight in (on Saturday) was up…again. I weighed in at 193.8 which is a gain of 1.4 pounds, making my total loss a mere 3.2 pounds.

BUT!!!

Through some insane magic (or my monthly cycle, same thing really) I must have peed a dozen times yesterday and according to my scales at home, I peed out 2 pounds of…something. Salt, maybe? Whatever it was, it’s gone now that’s for sure and all my rings fit better today. Yesterday I felt more clear-headed and in control than I’ve felt in a long time. I was super-productive at work, and checked off several things on my to-do list. I don’t know what’s going on…but I like it!

Subject change: can we just talk about tea for a minute? I got a bunch of tea stuff for my birthday ( a cute tea pot, a little tea infuser that looks like a tea pot, some tea, etc) and I decided that I wanted to be a sophisticated grown up and try loose tea. Last Friday I took my girls to the mall and we found a tea store there – oh happy day!! I walked in and said, “I’m a blank slate – teach me Yoda!” and the very nice guy working there showed me all kinds of different teas and infusers and such and in the end I chose 3 different loose teas to take home with me. To the tune of $50. Yikes!! That’s more than I intended to spend, but I had some birthday money left, so it was all good. I’m happy to say that I love all of the teas I chose and my 12 year old daughter even likes them too. I chose a flavored white tea, an herbal tea, and a flavored black tea and the fact that they can be mixed together in various combinations is a bonus. Their names are Snow Geisha, Wild Orange Blossom, and Weight To Go (yes, seriously). I asked about dessert teas was offered the Weight To Go tea. I tried to not read more into that than was necessary, but if I hadn’t been so excited and overwhelmed, I probably would have been offended. It’s actually my favorite of all three – it’s got a fun fruity taste. Yum! What I was surprised to find is that 2oz of tea will not fit in a 4oz jar – 2 oz of tea is A LOT OF TEA. I think I ended up with more than 2oz of each one (that sneaky salesman, they pour it out of bulk tins and measure out just a little more so you’ll spend a little more) so I’ve got lots of tea to last me a while. I’m trying to replace my afternoon sugar habit with hot tea, hence the whole tea experience. We’ll see how it works out.

Okay, kids that’s all I’ve got for today. Curious – do you drink loose leaf tea, and if so, what’s your favorite brand/flavor? Any tea accessory that you can’t live without? Like I said, I’m a blank slate – educate me! 🙂

One thought on “Gimme a TEA!

March 26, 2013 at 10:52 am

I don’t even have a monthly cycle, but I had a day like that. I lost a pound of pee. Whatever. I don’t think you can directly correlate anything your body does for sure. Its a grand mystery.

About tea. I read about David’s tea. Check them out. The teas sound fantastic. And I thought it would help with my evening snacking. But they’re still tea. And I don’t like tea that much… my sister is getting $50 worth of tea next week. (It made me feel better that you spent $50 on tea. On the other hand, I do LOVE chai tea. I made my recipe again, with plenty of spices, and I added in the almond milk, so I have 8 servings all ready in my fridge. Its not calorie free–45 calories per cup. Worthy.

2. robynstar21
    March 26, 2013 at 10:54 am

I have never tried loose leaf tea, it’s pretty intimidating to me, but I do love having tea in the afternoons helps give me a little energy and stops my snack cravings.

3. March 26, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Depends on the time of the year. 🙂 I like a nice Vanilla Spice Chai, or Pumpkin Spice Chai, or the Chocolate Delight is pretty good too. (brands, celestial seasonings or the tea guys), and I can keep going, but essentially I gravitate toward creamy sweet types of teas.

4. cookie
    March 26, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I love tea, but I am a little picky. I don’t like fruit infusions with more than two different kinds of fruit – my favourite is a lemon tea with just lemon. Not the instant stuff with three tons of sugar per serving. That one comes in a teabag and it’s delicious, I don’t like Rooibos of any kind. Herbal tea is good if it doesn’t have chamomile in it – I am allergic and the itching it causes in my throat is very unpleasant. Oh, and I don’t like anything marzipan, cream or coconut flavoured. My current favourite is chai latte (black tea, cinnamon and ginger) with a teaspoon of sweetened condensed milk. Of course fancy me has to drink tea that’s expense and can only be bought in ONE shop in Hannover – it’s from Twinings, and most stores don’t carry that over here. And if they do, not that variety. Maybe I can bring a few over when we go to London in May.

5. March 26, 2013 at 4:50 pm

This was an activity we did with my (20) niece last summer. She and my middle daughter (18) spent about an hour with the tea guy at a farmers market. I found a chair (broken foot in boot, about 12zillion degrees that day). When they were done, I bought her multiple tea blends and a unique infuser, etc.

6. March 26, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I haven’t done this yet but I’ve been thinking about it, I already enjoy the ritual of tea. I have a cute tea chest with lots of flavours. But actually my favourites are the ones that taste like “normal” tea — English Breakfast and Assam Bold. Chai is the most disgusting concoction ever.

Maybe I will get a cute little teapot and infuser, just for fun.

7. myjourneytofit
    March 26, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I am a plain old iced tea from a Lipton teabag person 99% of the time. But the other 1% of me wants to try loose tea because it looks so pretty…good reason? At least you know it tastes good!

• March 26, 2013 at 7:42 pm

it IS so pretty! It looks like potpourri (and smells even better!)

8. Miz
    March 27, 2013 at 4:53 am

I’m cheap and boring:-) tea bags. Fruit flaves. Love.

9. raquel from florida
    March 27, 2013 at 8:15 am

as long as you don’t use any sugar!!! I drink my occasional cup of tea without sugar, splenda, honey, agave or anything like that. Also I don;t spend lots of money on tea, two oz is way too much tea: it looses aroma like crazy. I prefer small boxes so I don’t get easily bored. Still I prefer coffee! (with a teaspoon or less of agave). Whatever you drink make it healthy and enjoy the drinking process!!!

10. Laura N.
    March 27, 2013 at 11:15 am

Haven’t done loose tea yet. I read about David’s Tea on another blog & it sounds heavenly. I drink two teas primarily–Stash Pomegranate Green Tea (usu 3-4 cups a day at work) and constant comment decaf at home at night. I used to add a Tbs of splenda brown sugar blend (1/2 splenda 1/2 sugar) in the constant comment. I got used to it w/o sugar, and now it’s fine. The Stash tea doesn’t need it. Very fruity on it’s own. & it’s cheap. Hope you feel spoiled using your new teas. They sound lovely.

11. March 28, 2013 at 11:43 am

A suggestion: I find my body weight can vary a lot in a short period of time just through water weight retention. I have had literally a 5 pound shift in less than 12 hours before. Also when on just looks at a scale one gain be gaining muscle if one is working out a lot. I got in the habit of doing self body fat caliper measures with Accu-Measure and that is much less volatile when one gets a hang of how to take the measurements. I still weigh myself, but I have actually found myself losing fat while my weight goes up on the scale at time. People should not be so focused on the scales.

12. April 3, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Good thing though it pours like rain because it’s many 😀 tea is healthy 🙂 Before I hate the taste of tea because it always taste like grass for me but now every time there were chances I go for it. I even tried a tea that smells and somehow tastes like flower and it’s good. I love milk tea too 😉

13. April 4, 2013 at 8:50 am

I love tea. I know that some can be beneficial when trying to lose weight. But, it’s the sorting through that takes some time to find a good one. Thanks for the post though.. A little research can go a long way.

14. Nicole
    April 9, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Hi! I have been reading your blog for awhile (love it!) but never comment. You should check out adagio.com for loose teas! They have a bazillion (okay, not really) different types of loose tea and they are reasonably priced. I just discovered them a little while ago and really like them.