Not even once

Hello Folks!

I didn’t go to weigh in on Saturday and it was probably  just as well. I know I had a gain and was waiting for my new “clean slate” week to begin, which it did, but the slate got real dirty by the next day. It didn’t just get dirty it got drrrrrty.  Dirty with bbq and cheesecake (yep, I got my birthday cheesecake and it was WONDERFUL).  I tracked everything I ate and Monday I was back on plan, until after work when I made the grave mistake of tasting “just one” Honey BBQ Twisted Frito. Holy crackers, those things must be dipped in meth because before I knew it, I was on the street corner hustling Johns so I could get enough money to go score some more Twisted Fritos. Not even once, kids…not even once.

I literally could not stop eating them. I think I ate half the bag before I finally gave the bag to my son and told him to go hide them. He came back into the kitchen 5 minutes later, shoved the bag into the pantry and said “wow, it took a lot of effort for me to stop eating those!”, so I know it wasn’t just me – he just stopped a lot sooner than I did. This had nothing to do with willpower, it was purely the addictive flavor of the chips which I’m sure Frito-Lay most likely spent thousands of dollars in R&D to come up with. I fell right into their trap.

So today, I’m in a funk and I’m 90% positive it’s because of all those Fritos I ate yesterday. I am becoming more and more aware of how I feel after I eat things like that, and I’m noticing that it usually affects me the day after I have eaten the offending food.

I know, I know, you all tried to warn me when you said you don’t let trigger foods pass your lips at all anymore. I didn’t listen then, but I’m listening now! I’ve decided that if I’m going to lose weight and keep it off, I have to tighten things up around here and quit being so loosey-goosey with all the BLTs (bites, licks, tastes).  The thing is, it didn’t occur to me that those would be a trigger food, but lately I seem to be getting cozy with salty snacks of all kinds. I think I need to put a moratorium on them for awhile because sheesh, I don’t need another replay of yesterday’s carnage. Lions attacking their prey aren’t as violent as I was with those Fritos.

Learn from me, friends. Don’t be me. Don’t use salty snacks lest you find yourself at the counter of The Betty Ford Clinic for Frito Addiction with a mustard-yellow dust all over your face. Just say no, kids, just say no!

One thought on “Not even once

1. Laura N.
    March 12, 2013 at 11:23 am

Best thing here: “I am becoming more and more aware.” That’s a big step.

Salty foods like fritos are just sugar/refined carbs hidden under salt. Some people aren’t necessarily addicted to sugar foods, but salty foods act in their bodies just like sugary foods do. Plus, salt kicks off the craving for sweet. And vice versa. Have you all noticed this? Eat salt, want sweet. Eat sweet, want salt. And then there’s the double whammy foods–like salted milk chocolate. What sadistic maniac thought that up?

I found that I went through several “bottom” experiences until I finally decided I was a food addict. It wasn’t one “aha!” epiphany, it was several. And I still identify trigger foods. Identify it, eliminate it. Eat plenty of healthy food so the body has the nutrients it needs and isn’t seeking them by making us want to eat all the time.

You are getting there. Keep moving forward.

March 12, 2013 at 11:37 am

Those weren’t just salty snacks. They were that dangerous trifecta of addictive taste perfection: salt, fat, and sugar!

3. March 12, 2013 at 11:51 am

I hear you. Over the weekend I was looking at a package of high-end chocolate chip cookies that taste exactly like my homemade (serious crack food for me). I knew if I ate just 1, all of them would be gone. I did finally succumb to 1 but it killed me not to each any more.

4. March 12, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Me and anything chocolate. My kryptonite! I was going to get into the ice cream today, and I literally stopped myself and told myself to knock it off. So I did. But I really want it.

5. March 12, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I have had many similar experiences to this before, where suddenly an animal instinct takes over my brain and I MUST EAT THE FOOD and I have to do it quickly before my logical brain can realize what my animal binge brain is doing. Like if I eat five rice krispie bars in one minute then they don’t count or something…not sure why that happens but I agree that not one bite policy is best for me, I’m not good at moderation with snacks, treats and triggers.

• March 12, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I like that: animal brain and logical brain. Sums it up pretty well!! 🙂

6. March 12, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Oh yeah, that salty crunchy goodness. Or badness.

7. March 13, 2013 at 12:25 am

Salt, sugar, fat – never ending loop.

8. Miz
    March 13, 2013 at 6:49 am

Im ok with salt but SUGAR? CAINT CAINT CAINT as it just makes me want more more more

9. March 13, 2013 at 11:52 am

Its true that certain foods are adictive.They are made this way so we keep buying them.The key here is selfcontrol. Once you are totaly commited there is nothing that can stop you !

10. March 13, 2013 at 1:39 pm

The science behind how food manufacturers develop foods that will be addictive is unreal. There is no such thing as one chip or one cookie!!

11. March 13, 2013 at 2:00 pm

“quit being so loosey-goosey with all the BLTs (bites, licks, tastes). ” LOL

Those are good comments above and can relate to them. And I can relate to you, too… Get up, dust yourself off (especially the Frito dust), and start again. 🙂 I tell myself that often.

12. March 15, 2013 at 6:19 am

I can’t control myself. I’m still fat, still sad…

• March 15, 2013 at 8:37 am

I’m so sorry Catherine. I know that feeling, too well. Email me if I can help you in any way.

13. Dane
    March 16, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Alternate-day fasting allows you to eat all the junk food you want every other day. It’s certainly not an approach I endorse but, considering what junk food does to the reward pathways in our brains, if you could lose weight this way, would you?

14. March 19, 2013 at 9:07 am

One bite of sugar and it’s a downhill slide for me! We just have to keep trying!!