Bonjour!

Bonjour Mes Amies!!

I like to throw in a little French every now and then just so I can prove to my dad that college education wasn’t a waste of time.  I mean, all the life lessons I learned – how to properly pour a beer,  how to thrive on Hideaway Pizza, Cocoa Puffs, and Spaghettios,  how make one load of laundry last two weeks – were totally worth the thousands and thousands of dollars spent.  And oh yeah, that little bit of French I learned is SO valuable here in Oklahoma (that was sarcasm in case you didn’t catch that).  If I had it to do over again, I would have majored in something fun like Theater, or Graphic Design, or something useful like Health and Nutrition, because I am all about health and nutrition these days (see? There was a point to all that rambling about college!).  Part of the reason I love January is that all of North America is on the Healthy Bandwagon – everyone is vowing to eat right and exercise…at least until Valentine’s Day.  But you, dear readers, and I will have butt-prints embedded on that bandwagon because we are in it for the long haul, no? Bien sur!  We are on a quest for good health and though we may falter at times, we always,  ALWAYS pick ourselves up and keep moving forward.  Just remember that when your someone special wants to take you out for a big steak dinner and dessert on Valentine’s Day.  😉

On Saturday I got so fed up at the lack of good food in the house, I went to Wal-Mart and spent an obscene amount of money on all the healthy foods I could think of.  I bought lots of veggies, lots of fruits, yogurt, string cheese, cottage cheese, whole wheat flour, whey protein, and lots of other yummy good-for-you stuff.  I can’t tell you how much better I feel just after 3 days of eating non-crap.  I do have a question for those of you in the know – I know that it is recommended to eat fish at least a couple times a week, but does freshwater fish like Crappie and Bass count?  Do they have the same omega-3s that other fish have?  Since I am married to Daniel Boone, we have LOTS of crappie in the freezer, and since we almost always fry it, I rarely fix it anymore (fried foods like that make my stomach hurt).  But we have all this fish at our disposal and if we could get some benefit out of it by baking it or grilling it, I would definitely prepare it more often.  A quick Google search didn’t turn up much.  I did find one article that said Crappie is nutritious, and it touted the benefits of omega 3 acids but it didn’t directly link Crappie with omega 3’s.  It did say however, that crappie tend to not absorb a lot of the contaminates in freshwater like say, catfish.  So that’s good news, but I want to know just how nutritious Crappie is.  If you know, could you enlighten me?  DB would be thrilled if we ate fish more often, even if it isn’t fried.

On the fitness front, I am in mourning over the death of my treadmill (yes STILL).  Gilad is great for strength training, but I don’t really work up much of a sweat.  I need more than 18 minutes of activity to really work up a good sweat.  I stumbled upon this yesterday and it looks like it might be a good set up.  For $20 a month, you get a new workout custom made for you every 4 weeks.  It includes a personal trainer DVD, a cardio DVD and a strength training DVD I think.  It’s a good price and I like that you get a new one every month for 20 months.  Anyone ever tried this?  I just worry that I won’t like the cardio (visions of Denise Austin dance in my head) and so I wouldn’t do it.  I am really tempted to do this, but with the money I would spend on this, I could just go out and buy a treadmill.  I think that’s one of my faults – I overanalyze and worry that if I spend the dough, I’ll be sorry later.  I’m going to overanalyze it a little bit more and then I’ll decide.

Today’s shout out goes to the avocado.  It all started with guacamole, which I love probably a little too much, and now my latest obsession has turned to eating avocadoes raw, right out of the skin.  It’s so creamy and indulgent, and I love it.  I try to keep it to a quarter or half an avocado at a time, but I could see myself eating two or three a day. Pretty soon you may see me entering avocado rehab.  J’adore l’avocat!  See Dad, I’m using my French degree!!

Have a good day kids!

PS.  I almost forgot!  Check back later this week for a book review (not the Toxic Fat book, a different one) AND a giveaway!!   Woo!!

One thought on “Bonjour!

1. January 20, 2009 at 1:09 pm

My niece in law (who’s a year older than me) just emailed me this morning about doing Jillian Michael’s 30 day shred DVD with her. It’s just over $8 on Amazon. It has hundreds of 5 star reviews, & looks like it’s no nonsense cardio + strength. I bought it, plan to start doing it as soon as it arrives. Wanna try that with me? I can let you know what I think first, if you like.

I have good food in the house yet STILL managed to eat almost an entire pan of brownies yesterday. I have a problem. A major problem! And it’s gotta get fixed soon or I’m gonna bust the zippers on all my pants.

I’ve never ever bought an avacoda. Isn’t that weird? I do like it when I’ve had it on salads, but I’m not much of a guac fan.

Hope your week is going well. xoxo

2. January 20, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Hey Laura – my niece is supposed to be sending me the Shred Dvd – I may have to go ahead and buy it if she doesn’t send it soon. I would love to do that Shred with you and your niece – fun! We can all be in pain together! 😉

3. January 20, 2009 at 3:56 pm

I’m letting the world know that if anyone wants to buy me dessert and a steak dinner, I’m saying yes and eating my weight in calories.

THEN I’ll be back on the bandwagon 😉

4. January 20, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Oh somebody please take White Flower out on a date!! She’s beautiful and smart and funny – she’s a killah!!

And you can jump on that bandwagon anytime you want, Sweets!! =)

5. January 20, 2009 at 6:42 pm

JILL!!!

I am so glad you found me! You look fantastic….

Voulez-vous Coucher Avec Moi – the only french I will ever know! It is french, right?

Have a great day!

6. January 21, 2009 at 12:35 am

My french classes never helped much either. When I finally went to France I couldn’t even read the menus. I couldn’t figure out why there were lawyers in the salad–turned out the words for lawyer and avocados are really similar. (Speaking of avocados…)

7. January 21, 2009 at 12:24 pm

I speak nothing.
    little grammatically incorrect more times than not english. smidge of hebrew. a dollop of Snoops IZZLE.

that said I RULE mommy & me spanish class. I can so rock when my opponents are 3 years old 🙂

8. January 21, 2009 at 1:27 pm

I was thinking about that Shred DVD as well, so I might have to join you!

9. January 21, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Jillie, life is good when you are writing, and it is even better when you throw in a little french! Did I tell you I took French from 8th grade through to the first year of college? Comment allez-vous? Zut alors! What a waste of time. I so wish I could speak spanish at work most days. Really, in California, why would they allow children to choose to learn anything besides spanish? Oh well.

I can’t believe no one has addressed your Crappie question. Crappie, doesn’t the name say something about the food? I’ve never heard of Crappie, but I sure like saying the word Crappie. I like writing the word Crappie even more, I guess. Seriously, I think most of the fish w/the omega 3’s are ocean fish like salmon, mackerel….oily types of fish. And even though I believe what they say, and I do like fish, I have never succeeded at consistently eating fish 3X/week. But non-omega 3 fish is also very good for you because it is usually VERY LOW in fat. I like to cook it in a hot pan sprayed w/Pam so it gets browned (fake fried) and at the end squirt a ton of lemon juice over it in the hot pan. The lemon really gets into the fish then. Also, love it w/ salsa poured on top. Especially salsa w/some fruit, like mango, pineapple, or even peach. They have a ton of different kinds of salsa at Trader Jo’s. Its also good baked with veggies heaped on top. Go for it, Jill. Eat that Crappie food!

How bout Crappie a l’avocat!

10. January 21, 2009 at 3:41 pm

I love avocados and they are usually a staple in our house, but not for the three months that they’re out of season in our neck of the woods. Which, sadly, is right now! My withdrawel symptoms are acute!

11. Krysten
    January 21, 2009 at 10:42 pm

Get your Crappie on. And bring it with the 30-Day Shred. Sorry I haven’t sent the dvd yet. I set my self a non-ambitious goal to get it to you by your birthday, which, as I’m typing this, I realize makes no sense since you’ll prob get your new treadmill by then. BUT now that you have bought Shred for yourself, let’s all do it together. It’s the bomb– I still haven’t made it past level 1, though. That Jillian’s a bitch.

Au revoir. (See, and THAT’s what testing out of College French will allow you to remember 9 nine years after finishing high school french…)