I saw this on Fat Bridesmaid‘s blog and I thought it sounded like a good idea. This might help give some insight as to why you have gained weight, therefore giving you an idea of what it might take to help you lose it. Not sure why it is all past tense, but I just made it fit my current situation.
1. What types of food were you most likely to overeat? Sweets, and noodle casseroles. Also Cheetos – can’t resist the call of the Cheeto.
2. What times of day did you overeat most often? Afternoon (when I was young it was right after school, now it’s right after work).
3. What feelings were you having most often when you overate? I think when I overeat now, it has to do with a feeling of relaxation and celebration – I’m so happy to be home, or I’m so happy it’s dinner time that I want to prolong the good feeling so I keep eating.
4. Do you think you have a binge eating disorder? No, I really don’t. I don’t binge nearly as much as I used to, and I have gotten fairly good at stopping myself before too much damage is done.
5. What circumstances in your life do you believe contributed to your weight gain? I was alone a lot when I was younger, and to entertain myself I ate while watching TV. I still haven’t learned how to keep myself entertained without food, but at least now, I am aware of it.
6. Do you ‘blame’ anyone for your weight? Nope – well, I guess I blame myself, but not anyone else. I just had/have poor coping skills, so I use food for comfort.
7. What other behaviors made you overweight? Not enough exercise, not caring for myself better.
8. Were you active or exercising while you gained weight? Off and on. That’s my biggest problem where exercise is concerned – I’m inconsistent.
9. What made you finally want to change? I don’t want to look matronly anymore. I’m not even 40 and I already look like my 68 year old mother. I also don’t want the health issues that she has. Also, I’m done having babies, so it’s time to lose the baby weight.
I thought this was a great exercise. Goals and realizations can get lost in the day to day of living, so it helps to revisit these things that made us want to lose weight in the first place. Feel free to take this and run with it and let me know if you do this on your blog.